Friday, February 17, 2017

Welcome!


Hi and welcome to Sleeves and Skirts.
This blog is all about combining fashion and modesty.

This is an area that I experience and focus on a lot in my life. Like others, modesty has religious significance for me as an orthodox Jewish woman. But in my view, modesty isn't a rule- it's a concept and a lifestyle. It's a way of saying "I'm a deliberate person."  The way one dresses both reflects and informs a person's inner personality. To me, clothing is translating myself. So yeah, I'm picky about what I wear.


Most people think that modest clothing is old-fahioned and regimented. They think it limits creativity.


On this blog I'll try to show you that the opposite is true- that when you define boundaries you create the potential to unlock expression, individuality, and innovation.

One of the saddest issues facing today's youth is the emphasis placed on appearance. Girls especially learn, subconsciously, from social signals that the more "out there" they put themselves, the closer they are to achieving some elusive dream. But modesty sends an opposite, and much more empowering message- that everyone has the right to privacy and personal choice. It shifts the focus from superficiality to authenticity.

It's hard to find stylish affordable modest clothing in the current fashion market, so I'll help you out! I'll bring outfit and trend ideas from a range of brands and websites, for all price ranges.
Stay tuned for more modesty!
Nissa

Image credit: pixabay.com

No comments:

Post a Comment